Yokohama Nanohana

Yokohama Nanohana

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

DIY, DI Whyyyyyy?

Eric and I purchased this house for many reasons. One of them certainly being that we wanted a project house. But what happens when the stars align and for some reason all of the projects on your "to do" list need to happen at once? Complete chaos, that is what happens. The hail storm was the impetus to work on the external part of our home. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it), we have contractors taking care of the outside. This means that we have to wait for the work to be finished (or started) on their terms, but it also means that I don't have to do the painting!

Now for the inside of the house...I'm not sure how it happened so quickly, but sometime between a Saturday night to trip to Home Depot and Monday morning, Eric and I ordered new flooring for the entire house. We are unbelievably excited about this as our little rancher is currently home to five distinct types of flooring. We are presented with an opportunity to capitalize on the fact that we don't have to protect our current floors. We can destroy them with painting and other remodeling projects that we eventually planned to get to. So when I woke up on Monday, I sprung into action! I called another contractor to come and fix all the "old house cracks" in our walls, I've been busy looking at paint colors (don't worry, the yellow and green colors in the picture below have both been nixed), and I started to prime all of the wooden trim in our house that we want to paint white. I even started taking down the kitchen cabinet doors in preparation to sand them. The end result is that our house is in complete shambles!!

This post includes various "before" pictures. Who knows when I will be able to post the "after" shots, but the journey is the fun part, right? I am learning to love the mess (though I have already suggested to Eric that we move all of our belongings into a storage unit until our work is finished) and I am learning to accept that mistakes will be made. I am even coming to terms with the fact that our house just may look like this when we host our very first house guests next week. We ecstatic, thrilled, and overjoyed to be looking forward to a visit from Meg and Matt!!

And just when I started to question whether we had bitten off more than we could chew, my phone sounded the new email alarm... When I opened it, I found a coupon for 40% off all paints and stains at Sherwin Williams this weekend. It's a sign. We can do this! Happy homemaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment