Yokohama Nanohana

Yokohama Nanohana

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Big Eight-Oh!

ma-tri-arch
Noun:     1. A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.
              2. An older woman who is powerful within a family or organization.
              3. My grandmother.

The Crewphoto credit: Lee Guthrie Photography, www.leeguthriephotography.com


I've talked before about how cool my grandmother is. But I'll do it again.

My grandmother is glue that holds one huge, spread out family together. Many moons ago, my grandparents made an investment in having a large family. I know it mustn't have been easy, but the look on my grandmother's face when we all come together says, "It was worth it." Together, they had six children who went on to build families of their own. In total, there are well over thirty of us including grand and great-grandchildren. My most recent attempt to count came to thirty-six, but I am never quite confident that I'm remembering every person at any given time.

The almost-whole family came together on what many call "New Years Day," but we call "Grandma's Birthday" to celebrate my grandmother's eightieth year.  The only people missing from the party were Joe (grandson) and Rebecca who were absent (along with their children) because they were bringing yet another grandchild into our ever-expanding clan. Little Randy, Jr. shares a birth month with the lady of honor!

My grandmother is the coolest grandmother for a number of reasons,
I will mention but a few:

1. She loves The Godfather trilogy
2. She has incredible wisdom and and the sharpest wit; a powerful combination
3. She has a (not so) secret crush on Howie Long
4. She loves art, history, travel, and culture
5. On rare occasions, she has popcorn and a beer for dinner
6. She creates wonderful opportunities for our family to spend time together and enjoy each others company
7. For a time, her ringtone was "Black Betty" by Ram Jam
8. She is the picture of strength and resilience
9. She likes to "yank people's chains," but certainly isn't afraid laugh at herself, too
10. She is always up to learn more, understand more, and pursue personal growth

 I could go on and on...

Suffice it to say, she is well-loved, respected & admired by many, and everyone wants to sit with her at dinner. She keeps us laughing. She teaches us through example that joy can be found in the small things in life.

I know I speak for all of us when I say, we are lucky to have you, we are so thankful for you, we love you, and we were overjoyed to be able to celebrate the big Eight-Oh with you. Happy (belated) birthday, Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment