The room slowly began to fill as an energetic and lively crowd gathered for the show. There were probably between 12 and 15 different teams in the competition. During each round, each team was given a word and the opportunity to come to consensus on its spelling before one person stood and recited the spelling. Teams could also purchase "mulligans," which would allow them to skip a word they found to be too challenging. If the team decided to use said "mulligan," they had to spell the next word they were given, no exceptions. Door prizes were given away between each round and side spelling competitions for adults and kids in the audience were held. A cake was raffled from June's Tasty Treats, which sold for a cool $180-something. The gracious couple who purchased the cake sliced it on the spot and shared it with the rest of the crowd.
As each team was eliminated, the balloon that was (supposed to be) floating behind them was to be popped to indicate the team was no longer in competition. Unfortunately, there was a helium malfunction in the room that morning so none of the balloons were actually floating, but the picture above is of the Vince Wing Commander popping the pilots' balloon. I was wary about posting this picture as one could argue the act looks a bit more sinister than balloon popping. Is it just me or does that pilot look a little nervous? But I grew weary of the worry and decided it was too funny not to include. Anyway, I was there and can assure you that everyone walked out of the room in one piece.
And let me just say, the pilots were really good sports as they endured (and probably continue to endure) their fair share of heckling over the whole thing. Not from me, of course...
Here is a look at some of the other scenes of the day:
| The BEECH Bums |
| The BEE Jays |
| I think their team name was the BEEhards... |
| The BEEhard's MVP and arguably the coolest person in the room |
| Team Angry Words |
| The Master of Ceremonies & Queen Bee |
The "Grate" Altus Spelling Bee was actually a pretty fun way to spend a Saturday morning. The crowd was fun, the contestants were funny, and, let's be honest, what were we going to do with our time otherwise? Get caught up on the Shah's of Sunset? At least this activity was educational...Tonight we are planning to spend the evening with friends at Charlie's (the club on base) and last night I was asking Sarah what she was planning on wearing. Her response was,
"Probably a dress, nothing fancy, though. You know, a dress like the one I wore to the spelling bee." The way that sentence just casually rolled off her tongue struck me as incredibly funny. Never in a million years did I expect a girlfriend and I to attend Saturday morning spelling bees for FUN in our twenties. C'est la vie!
No comments:
Post a Comment